From Darlene Schmidt,Your Guide to Thai Food. Here's what she says,"This Thai red curry paste recipe is red hot! Check your spice-o-meter when preparing this paste, adding less fresh chili if you prefer milder dishes. Red curry paste makes for excellent Thai curry, including curry chicken and seafood curries, vegetarian curries, or noodles." I have made some slight changes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 shallots, sliced (or scallion if shallots not available)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (or 2 tsp. lemon zest)
- 1 -3 red chilies (more or less-depending on how spicy you like it) or 1 -3 teaspoon thai red chili sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 inches slice gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin (may be substituted with galangal)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, ground with pestle & mortar (or a coffee grinder)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (available at Asian grocers, or vegetarian 'fish' sauce or soy sauce if unavailable)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest (or 1 kaffir lime leaf)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (or more, enough to keep the blades turning)
- 1Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process well.
- 2To use immediately, fry the paste in some oil to release flavors before adding meat, tofu or wheat gluten, or vegetables.
- 3Add more coconut milk, as desired. Include the leftover pieces of lemongrass(if using) in your cooking pot - this will add more flavor to the curry.
- 4Before serving, always do a taste test. If not salty enough, add more fish sauce (or vegetarian fish sauce, or soy sauce). If too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice. If too sour, add a little more sugar. If too spicy, add more coconut milk or a little plain yogurt.
- 5When serving, sprinkle fresh coriander and/or ground nuts over the curry.
- 6Store paste in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (or longer - the spices will help to preserve it).
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Red Curry Paste
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4351.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: