Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a spicy variation without coconut milk and with peanut butter. Posted on the Web site http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can Libby's canned pumpkin
- 1 (11 1/2 fluid ounce) can mango nectar
- 3 vegetarian vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- fat-free evaporated milk
- COMBINE water, pumpkin, nectar, bouillon, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low.
- STIR in peanut butter, vinegar, green onion and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until soup returns to a boil. Stir in evaporated milk. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro before serving.
- FOR FREEZE AHEAD:.
- PREPARE as above; do not sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Cool soup completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- HEAT in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro before serving.
- NOTE: For a richer and creamier version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Milk for Evaporated Fat Free Milk.
This soup has complex flavors which blend well together. The vinegar is a pleasant contrast to the sweetness of the mango nectar and peanut butter. I used less red pepper and omitted the cilantro. I used a 5 oz can of evaporated milk.