1/1 Photo of Thai Pumpkin Soup
I saw this soup made on television one cold, wet morning. It looked so delicious I shot up to the shop, bought some pumpkin and made it for lunch. It was absolutely delicious, silky smooth and not too spicy. This recipe serves 8, but if there is any left over, it can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 kg pumpkin, skin and seeds removed and diced into 1 cm, 1/2" cubes (weighed with skin and seeds)
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon salt (approximately)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (extra) or 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 8 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro) (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a very large saucepan or stockpot.
- 2Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, over a medium heat until soft, but not brown (about 10 minutes).
- 3Add curry paste, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Add tomato and cook, stirring, for another couple of minutes.
- 5Add pumpkin and mix well to combine.
- 6Add stock.
- 7Cover saucepan and bring soup to the boil.
- 8Reduce heat to low, uncover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is very tender.
- 9Remove saucepan from heat, and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- 10Using a hand blender, food processor or blender, puree soup (in batches if necessary).
- 11Return soup to saucepan and taste.
- 12Add salt, a teaspoon at a time, tasting after each addition.
- 13(For my taste I found I needed to add about 1 dessertspoon salt, but you may want more or less.) Add coconut milk or cream, mix well and taste again.
- 14Add more salt if necessary.
- 15Reheat soup to serve.
- 16If you wish, garnish each bowl of soup with a swirl of coconut cream or thick cream and a sprig of coriander.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 890.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai red curry paste