Recipe by Ranikabani
This is a delicious prawn recipe. I chop the heads off before cooking them but I leave the shells on (this is more flavourful but takes a bit of effort when eating it. You can shell first if you want, it will still be tasty :) ) You can adjust the amount of coconut and cayenne to suit yourself. It is a great dish to make when you are pressed for time or when you have unexpected guests because it takes so little time to prepare.
Top Review by Girl from India
Very nice! I used 2 small white onions and the rest of the ingredients. Used the creamed coconut. Could not resist adding some lemon grass and spring onion shoots. It turned into a dry dish. My son and I enjoyed our lunch with this dish and rice and dal and some stir fried veges. Thank you for the lovely recipe. :) Fay P.S. I must have hit 4 star by mistake for one that is truly 5 star. Sorry!
- 1⁄2 cup prawns
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (see my recipe for this)
- 3 -5 chives
- 1 sprig green coriander
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk or 1⁄2 tablespoon creamed coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and add onions.
- When brown, add tomato and spices, salt.
- Add 1/4 cup water and stir.
- Add prawns (with or without shells-- with shells on adds more flavour).
- Add coconut/ or coconut milk.
- When prawns are cooked, add chopped green coriander.
- just before serving, put a few chives on top to garnish.
- Serve with steamed rice or with my Tomato Rice.