Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious prawn recipe. I chop the heads off before cooking them but I leave the shells on (this is more flavourful but takes a bit of effort when eating it. You can shell first if you want, it will still be tasty :) ) You can adjust the amount of coconut and cayenne to suit yourself. It is a great dish to make when you are pressed for time or when you have unexpected guests because it takes so little time to prepare.
- 1⁄2 cup prawns
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (see my recipe for this)
- 3 -5 chives
- 1 sprig green coriander
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk or 1⁄2 tablespoon creamed coconut
- Heat oil and add onions.
- When brown, add tomato and spices, salt.
- Add 1/4 cup water and stir.
- Add prawns (with or without shells-- with shells on adds more flavour).
- Add coconut/ or coconut milk.
- When prawns are cooked, add chopped green coriander.
- just before serving, put a few chives on top to garnish.
- Serve with steamed rice or with my Tomato Rice.
Very nice! I used 2 small white onions and the rest of the ingredients. Used the creamed coconut. Could not resist adding some lemon grass and spring onion shoots. It turned into a dry dish. My son and I enjoyed our lunch with this dish and rice and dal and some stir fried veges. Thank you for the lovely recipe. :) Fay P.S. I must have hit 4 star by mistake for one that is truly 5 star. Sorry!