Recipe by Ed Kozak
I know the sound of a soup with pineapple and dried shrimp might not sound that appetizing, but this soup is delicious. I usually add about 1/2 cup of jasmine rice to a bowl and ladle in the soup.
- 1⁄2 cup dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup fish sauce
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the dried shrimp in 1/2 cup of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute the garlic in the vegetable oil until it is light brown and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 9 1/2 cups of water, then add the pork and fish sauce.
- Continue boiling for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the pork has cooked.
- Add the pineapple, pepper, and shrimp. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the scallions and float sauted garlic on top.