Prep 5 mins
Cook 336 hrs
This flavored oil gives a touch of Thai to whatever you baste while cooking. Use on vegetables and meat. From Classic Home Cooking!
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3 slices fresh lemongrass (2 inches)
- 2 chili peppers
- 2 cups canola oil (or peanut or olive)
- Lightly bruise the cilantro and lemongrass. Put the cilantro, lemongrass, and chili peppers into a clean jar or bottle. Pour in the 2 cups oil and seal the bottle.
- Leave in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, remove the cilantro and lemongrass, and use to baste while cookiing meat or vegs. Enjoy!
First I pierced the chili place it along with the rest of the ingredients in a pot and brought to a simmer heating the oil as to help kill any bacteria on the added ingredients. Be sure to pierce or slice the chili or it will burst open. The oil is lightly flavored with the lemongrass and cilantro then you feel the heat from the chili. I enjoyed this. Just refrigerate to prevent it from going rancid.