If you are a fan of Thai food, you must have tried their pandan chicken. It isn't spicy actually which is typical of thai food, but very fragrant and tasty. Cooking time excludes marinate time.
- 400 g chicken drumsticks, deboned and skinned
- 1 large pandan leaf, for wrapping
- 3 shallots
- 2 cm knob young ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 3 dried chilies, soaked till soft
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup thick coconut milk
- canola oil (for deep frying)
- Cut chicken meat into 7cm x 2.5cm thick slices.
- Combine ground ingredients with the seasoning ingredients and marinate the chicken pieces with it.
- Leave to stand for two to three hours.
- Add coconut milk and mix well to blend.
- Wrap two pieces of chicken with a pandan leaf.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Deep-fry pandan-wrapped chicken in hot oil until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.