Recipe by awalde
Thai pancake are one of the hit of street food. The recipe came with the Indian culture and was adopted and adapted to the Thai taste. We had a lot times this pancakes in Thailand. My children love this and they wanted to have some at home too. I found the recipe in http://www.importfood.com/recipes/roti.html Videos: http://importfood.com/videos/038-Dish8.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFb9hn_FcSQ&feature=player_embedded#at=44
Top Review by diner524
Wow!!! After watching the video on making these, they sure make it look easier than it is, lol!!! I decided to add strawberries and a little sweetened condensed for the filling. My pan was very hot, as recipe states, but think next time I would use a medium heat. With the high heat, the pancake cooked and crisped up before I could get all four ends folded in, but no major problem, as it tasted wonderful and thats what counts. I think I need to practice, lol!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for PRMR Tag Game.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 banana, small (or your favorite filling a s condensed milk, coconut, nutella, egg, or or or)
Directions See How It's Made
- Watch the videos metioned in the recipe description.
- In a bowl, combine water, egg, condensed milk, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, and form a crater in the sifted flour. Pour the water/egg mixture into the flour, and mix well. Add melted butter.
- Knead this until the bowl is clean and you have a nice ball of dough. Lightly coat the dough ball with vegetable oil (we like canola oil). Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Next, knead your dough a bit more, and form it into several balls (dough for 8 small pancakes of 3 to 3 inches). Coat them with vegetable oil.
- Roll a ball of dough flat with a rolling pin, then cut from center out to edge. Roll it up. Push it in with your finger. Repeat this a few times.
- Now roll and stretch the dough ball into a very flat square sheet (8 to 8 inches), for this step coat it with a bit more oil, pick it up and place it on a hot (highest setting) pancake griddle that has melted margarine on it. You can use a skillet also, but we found that our electric pancake griddle works great. Note. this step is not easy, you will need some exercice to perform this step perfectly.
- Add chopped banana or your favorite filling in the middle. Wrap horizontally one side first, then opposite side. Then vertically one end, then opposite to that end and make a purse covering the filling. Flip and fry for another 30 seconds. It took about 1 minute to finish cooking.
- Cut into 9 pieces and if you like top with sugar or with sweetened condensed milk.
- Enjoy this recipe! It's a lot of fun, and very tasty.
- Note: I had cherries at home. I used them for filling using some cornstarch to make the juice thicker.