1/2 Photos of Thai Pancake - Thai Roti
1 hr 15 mins
Thai pancake are one of the hit of street food. The recipe came with the Indian culture and was adopted and adapted to the Thai taste. We had a lot times this pancakes in Thailand. My children love this and they wanted to have some at home too. I found the recipe in http://www.importfood.com/recipes/roti.html Videos: http://importfood.com/videos/038-Dish8.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFb9hn_FcSQ&feature=player_embedded#at=44
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Watch the videos metioned in the recipe description.
- 2In a bowl, combine water, egg, condensed milk, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- 3Sift the flour into a large bowl, and form a crater in the sifted flour. Pour the water/egg mixture into the flour, and mix well. Add melted butter.
- 4Knead this until the bowl is clean and you have a nice ball of dough. Lightly coat the dough ball with vegetable oil (we like canola oil). Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- 5Next, knead your dough a bit more, and form it into several balls (dough for 8 small pancakes of 3 to 3 inches). Coat them with vegetable oil.
- 6Roll a ball of dough flat with a rolling pin, then cut from center out to edge. Roll it up. Push it in with your finger. Repeat this a few times.
- 7Now roll and stretch the dough ball into a very flat square sheet (8 to 8 inches), for this step coat it with a bit more oil, pick it up and place it on a hot (highest setting) pancake griddle that has melted margarine on it. You can use a skillet also, but we found that our electric pancake griddle works great. Note. this step is not easy, you will need some exercice to perform this step perfectly.
- 8Add chopped banana or your favorite filling in the middle. Wrap horizontally one side first, then opposite side. Then vertically one end, then opposite to that end and make a purse covering the filling. Flip and fry for another 30 seconds. It took about 1 minute to finish cooking.
- 9Cut into 9 pieces and if you like top with sugar or with sweetened condensed milk.
- 10Enjoy this recipe! It's a lot of fun, and very tasty.
- 11Note: I had cherries at home. I used them for filling using some cornstarch to make the juice thicker.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Pancake - Thai Roti
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.3
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.8 mg
- Sodium 171.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 4.3 g