Recipe by dicentra
This is from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. They say to serve this with a dry riesling from Alsace. One cup of bean sprouts can replace the radishes in this dish.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom, stems removed and caps cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground pork
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 10 radishes, sliced thinly
- 5 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the bell peppers, shiitakes, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove.
- Add the pork to the pan and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon off the fat from the pan. Stir in the bell peppers and shiitakes, the rice, broth, soy sauce, the remaining salt, and the cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, without removing the lid, until the rice is just done, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the scallions, radishes, cilantro and lime juice.