Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This is my favorite recipe for Phad Thai. It comes from "Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine" by Judy Lew and Chef Rut. I've tried many other recipes but none are as easy or as good as this one. I highly recommend the optional ingredients if you fix this. The 3 hours prep. time is soaking the rice noodles.
- 8 ounces dried rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup water (use only as needed if noodle mixture is too dry)
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 green onion, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1⁄4 cup ground roasted peanuts
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- lime slice
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- lemon wedge
- Soak the noodles in cool water until they are soft (about 3 hours).
- Heat oil in skillet or wok until hot and then add garlic, shrimp and egg.
- Stir fry until shrimp and egg are cooked.
- Reduce the temperature if needed to keep from overcooking.
- Drain noodles and add to pan with shrimp mixture.
- Stir fry until noodles are translucent and become somewhat soft, loosing their stiffness.
- Add water as needed to keep from sticking.
- When noodles are soft, add the fish sauce, sugar and paprika; thoroughly combine.
- Add peanut, bean sprouts, green onion and mix well.
- Garnish with optional ingredients if desired and serve.
I have to agree with fish sauce comment. Also adding some dried thai radish, ketchup and sugar enhance the flavor greatly.
I thought that 4tbs of fish sauce was a bit strong. 3tbs might have been right on the money. Using peanut oil also adds to the flavor. I found the optional water in the recipe was a must to avoid sticking. For some true Thai flare, add some Thai hot sauce or crushed red pepper.
I agree, this does definitely seem to be the easiest. What I'd like to point out though, which was mentioned in the optional garnishes part, but not actually employed, was the lemon wedge. Squeeze the lemon juice all over the meal and just taste the explosion of flavor! There is no doubt in my mind why this is such a popular dish!