Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe courtesy of The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
- 6 ounces cellophane noodles (mung bean)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, peeled and finely
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 fresh hot thai red chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 head bok choy, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 lemongrass, stalk peeled and bottom part minced
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of very hot water about 10 minutes, until softened. Drain well and rinse under cold running water. Cut into manageable lengths with kitchen scissors.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, lemongrass, ginger, and chile and stir-fry about 2 minutes, or until the bell pepper softens.
- Add the bok choy and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until wilted. Return the chicken to the pan and add the noodles. Pour in the soy sauce, fish sauce, and sweet chile sauce, and toss everything together over the heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until piping hot. Serve immediately.