Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Warming, cleansing soup: perfect comfort food without being unhealthy.
Make and share this Thai Noodle Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thai shrimp paste (blachan)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or 1 strip of pared lime rind
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 ounces dried medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice only (about 2 tsp)
- 1⁄2 hot red pepper, seeded and finely chopped (medium-hot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 ounces fresh spinach or 2 ounces pak choi, cut 1in wide strips
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic and shrimp paste and fry gently over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, lightly crush the lemon grass stalks with a rolling pin or the blade of a large knife.
- To make the soup add the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and chicken stock to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drop the noodles into a pan of boiling water, remove from the heat and leave to soak for 4 minutes, before draining.
- To refine the soup, strain the stock through a fine sieve into a bowl, return to the pan and add the fish sauce, lime juice, red chilli and sugar.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and spinach, or pak choi and simmer for a further 30 seconds.
- Finally, ladle into bowls, dividing the noodles equally between them and scatter over the cilantro leaves.
Wow! Tried this last night with stock from recipe 171834. We reckon it was worth 7-8 stars. No way it will serve 6, more like 3 as the flavours catch the taste buds. We used fresh egg noodle so they cooked in soup at end, and for our tastes, because of the spice etc flavours, had to give the chicken a bit of a boost with some bouillon powder; but when something tastes this good who cares if its healthy?! Thank you very much English Rose.