Thai Mussel Cakes With Stir-Fried Bean Shoots
- Cook mussels, covered in a little water until opened, removing them as they do so and discarding any that don't. Remove meat and chop coarsely.
- Whisk the flours, egg, fish sauce, palm sugar and up to 60ml water to form a smooth batter. Add chopped mussels and mix well.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large pan and drop tablespoons of the mussel mixture in without overcrowding.
- Cook until golden on both sides, then drain well on kitchen paper towels.
- While the cakes are cooking, heat a little oil in a wok and quickly stir-fry the bean shoots, green onions and garlic until crisp-tender.
- To serve, arrange cakes on a plate, sprinkle with a little soy, mound with bean shoots and then sprinkle with chilies.