Compliments of the website importfood.com which states: "The "massaman" indicates that the recipe is of a "musselman" or Islamic origin. It probably owes something to early Portuguese influences, and is similar in concept to the "sour and hot" Goan-style vindaloo dishes. By Thai standards this is usually a fairly mild curry." Begin planning your menu and preparing the ingredients the day before.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (pork, tofu or beef can be substituted)
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 5 white pearl onions, peeled and left whole
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and parboiled
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1 inch piece roasted cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste, mixed with
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons masaman curry paste (*see Massamun Curry Paste)
- 1 -3 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- thai jasmine rice, cooked
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons cucumbers, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 -2 Thai red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- *Masaman curry paste is also available in Asian markets.
- Peel potatoes, parboil in a cooking pot for 10-15 minutes, then cut in 1 to 2-inch chunks.
- Allow the coconut milk to separate and you will have about two cups of thick "cream" and one cup of thin "milk".
- In a small saucepan bring the coconut milk to a simmer and add the meat of your choice or tofu.
- NOTE: If you are using beef you will need another two cups of coconut milk. Simmer the meat until it begins to become tender because beef takes longer, hence the additional milk.
- Put the coconut cream in a wok and bring to almost a boil, add the massaman paste and "stir fry" until the flavor is maximized. Add the remaining cream and curry paste to the meat.
- Add the peanuts. Taste and adjust the flavor until it is a good balance of sweet (by adding sugar), sour and salty (by adding tamarind juice, lime juice and fish sauce).
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
- Serve with jasmine rice and ajad condiment.
- To prepare the ajad, combine the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Leave to stand overnight or prepare several hours in advance.