This is a nice side salad that I first had as a side at a Thai restaurant, but we like to have it with just about anything. It's a nice combo of sweet and spice.
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 red Thai peppers (seeded and minced)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 ripe but firm mangoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium carrot (coarsely grated)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 shallot (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped peanuts (toasted)
- Zest peel from 1 lime and place in a measuring cup along with 1/4 cup of lime juice.
- Whisk in fish sauce, sugar and thai pepper until sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually whisk in peanut oil until blended.
- Add shallot, mix well.
- Set dressing aside.
- Peel mangoes, then cut away chunks of fruit from pits then, cut into thin strips (julienne, or use grater) and place in a large bowl.
- Seed sweet pepper, cut into very thin strips and add to mangoes.
- Add carrot, half of green onions, and cilantro. Toss gently until combined.
- Add dressing and a pinch of salt, toss until mixed.
- Sprinkle with nuts and remaining green onions.
- Note: I usually serve this on a bed of lettuce and garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro.
I made this recipe and took it to a gathering, it went over so well that I have been asked to bring it again and again!!!delicious!
Great recipe. I had to use a different pepper since there were no Thai peppers available UGH Made for March Photo Event
I used the dressing on a combination of mangoes, shallots and carrots. It was very good!