1 hr 10 mins
This untried recipe is from the July/August 08 Vegetarian Times. Once the skewers come off of the grill, you put the contents into lettuce cups along with some herbs, roll and dip into a sauce. This sounds wonderful and I can't wait for our next barbecue to try this out. I added basil leaves to this recipe, because mint and basil are so tasty together in Thai dishes. I will also serve with red chile sauce to add the the rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, packed in water (don't use silken or tofu that comes in the aseptic packages)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 5 green onions, trimmed, each cut into four pieces
- 20 snap peas
- 16 boston lettuce leaves, cups
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaf
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1Drain tofu and place between two hard objects, such as cutting boards or plates. Angle to drip over the sink. Add a weight to the top, such as a glass or jar. Let sit one hour then cut into 16 cubes.
- 2Puree lemongrass, shallot and ginger to a paste in a food processor. Whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, and 2 Tbsp water in a bowl. Transfer half of this sauce mixture to a bowl, as it will be the dipping sauce. Add lemongrass paste to the remaining soy mixture and stir to mix.
- 3Toss together tofu, green onions, snap peas, and lemongrass mixture, and marinate for 30 minutes.
- 4Oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium.
- 5Thread 4 tofu cubes, 5 green onions, and 5 snap peas onto each of the 4 skewers.
- 6Place on grill, close hood and cook 4 minutes, Turn, close the hood and cook 4 minutes more.
- 7Transfer to a platter. Each person can then slide skewer contents into lettuce cups, add mint, basil, and peanuts to taste. Roll and dip into reserved dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Lemongrass Tofu Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.5
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 850.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: