A delicious spicy, vegetarian soup that will clear out even the most congested of sinuses.
Make and share this Thai Lemongrass and Chile Soup (Tom Yum) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and cut into 4 inch pieces
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons roasted chili paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped oyster mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 cups white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 small hot green chili peppers, seeded and halved (optional)
- rice noodles
- In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to a simmer with lemongrass and lime leaves if desired.
- In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
- When broth has simmered for 5 minutes, remove lemongrass and lime leaves and discard.
- Add cooked garlic and ginger to broth.
- Return broth to a boil, and stir in chile paste and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms have wilted, about 30 seconds, then stir in lime juice and fish sauce.
- Remove from heat, and ladle soup into small bowls along with your favorite rice noodles.
- Top each bowl with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of hot green chiles if you want it really really spicy.
- Alternatively, tomatoes and chiles can be mixed together and placed in small serving bowl for people to help themselves (this way people can make it as spicy as they want).
- For Vegetarian/Vegan omit the fish sauce and use the soy.
Very nice flavor. I left a little lemongrass in the soup and added green onions as well.
SO easy! We will make this again and again. Thanks for sharing!
This is delicous! I used fresh shimeji mushrooms and a few snow peas for extra color. I could not find roasted chili paste at the store, so used the chili garlic paste that they had. Also used homemade chicken stock. The combination of lime juice and fish sauce is wonderful. I didn't use any meat or fish this time, but I'm sure some chicken or shrimp would also be a good addition. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us. It is a great improvement over the tom yum cubes.