Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
A delicious spicy, vegetarian soup that will clear out even the most congested of sinuses.
Make and share this Thai Lemongrass and Chile Soup (Tom Yum) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and cut into 4 inch pieces
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons roasted chili paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped oyster mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 cups white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 small hot green chili peppers, seeded and halved (optional)
- rice noodles
- In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to a simmer with lemongrass and lime leaves if desired.
- In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
- When broth has simmered for 5 minutes, remove lemongrass and lime leaves and discard.
- Add cooked garlic and ginger to broth.
- Return broth to a boil, and stir in chile paste and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms have wilted, about 30 seconds, then stir in lime juice and fish sauce.
- Remove from heat, and ladle soup into small bowls along with your favorite rice noodles.
- Top each bowl with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of hot green chiles if you want it really really spicy.
- Alternatively, tomatoes and chiles can be mixed together and placed in small serving bowl for people to help themselves (this way people can make it as spicy as they want).
- For Vegetarian/Vegan omit the fish sauce and use the soy.
Really good even though I did not have lemongrass or kaffir lime leaves
Very nice flavor. I left a little lemongrass in the soup and added green onions as well.
SO easy! We will make this again and again. Thanks for sharing!