Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
With many of the ingredient used in thai cooking now readily available in supermarkets, authentic thai soups are easy to achieve. My recipe is made with chicken, but you could also try making it with prawns, diced or miinced pork or, extra vegetables.
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 600 ml hot chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 200 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons light muscovado sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 lemons, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red chilies, thinly sliced
- 50 g coriander leaves
- Flatten the lemon grass stalk with a rolling pin or meat mallet and place in the pan with the stock, chicken, curry paste and shallot; bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms to the pan and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir the sugar and the fish sauce into the soup and simmer for 3 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Squeeze in lemon juice and season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into warmed serving bowls and scatter over the salad onions, chilli and corriander. Serve with an extra wedge of lemon.