Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on a Thai recipe for Thai Cabbage Roll Soup found here: http://jazzieandtahlia.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/09/cabbage-roll-soup.html. Dashida is a Korean beef bouillon powder found in my local Oriental Market. I have a huge pouch of this stuff so I decided what the heck and it worked.
- 9 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (dark)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or 4 cups dashida and water
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons a teaspoon barely coated in molasses
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, julienned
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- Cook burger until dry with onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, carrots and jalapenos.
- Then add broth ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage and green onions to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook until veggies are soft.
- Stop heat, stir in lime juice and cilantro.