Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This incredibly delicious, aromatic, spicy and flavorful recipe was a national chicken cooking contest winner. It was created by Michelle Anderson of Eagle, Idaho. It is worth every minute of the preparation.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped Thai basil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 limes, juice and zest of, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup black sesame seed, toasted
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- lime wedge
For the Thai Slaw
- 3⁄4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 finely minced Thai chile
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 napa cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 English cucumber, coarsely grated
- 1 grated carrot
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
- In large bowl, mix together rice, coconut, green onion, basil, cilantro, chili sauce, 1 tablespoon lime juice and zest of 1 lime.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to even thickness. Place equal amounts of rice mixture on each chicken breast half.
- Wrap chicken around filling; secure with wooden pick.
- In glass pie plate, mix together flour, zest of 1 lime, salt and pepper.
- In another plate, mix coconut milk and 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- In third plate, mix together peanuts, panko, black and white sesame seeds.
- Roll chicken breasts, one at a time, first in flour mixture; then in coconut milk mixture and finally, in peanut mixture, coating well.
- In shallow baking pan, arrange chicken, seam side down; place in 350°F oven.
- Bake 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Place slaw on serving platter.
- Remove wooden picks and add chicken to platter.
- Garnish with cucumber, lime and cilantro.
- Thai-style Slaw: In large bowl, mix together 3chunky peanut butter; seasoned rice vinegar; lime; and Thai chili. Stir in cilantro; basil; cabbage; cucumber, carrot, and onion. Refrigerate.
The flavors were great, but it took a REALLY long time to make. I also had a lot of the flour and coconut milk dipping mixtures left. You only need about half. The panko and peanut mixture was about right. I won't be making this again as the end result didn't justify the amount of time it took to prepare.