Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love the coconut chicken soup I get at a local Thai restaurant and wanted to try to get something similar at home. Lemongrass is hard to find here, so I played around a bit and I'm pretty proud of how it came out. Quick, easy and tasty! Serve over rice.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) canlight unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh ginger (about a 2 inch piece)
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1 small onion, chopped coarse
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 -2 tablespoon oyster sauce or 1 -2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cooked rice
- Saute chicken and mushrooms together until chicken is browned and mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- Puree 1/2 cup coconut milk, ginger, garlic, onion, lime juice and zest, pepper flakes, paprika, and curry powder in blender or food processor.
- Heat mixture in skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook 1-2 minutes or until mixture thickens and turns a brighter red.
- Add chicken and mushrooms, remaining coconut milk, and oyster sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Stir in spinach, basil and salt, cover and heat through.
- Serve over rice.
This is a really, really good recipe. I've made it twice. First time I browned the chicken and mushrooms separately. The second time I sautéed/browned them together per the recipe. I much prefer the chicken browned on its own, giving it a nicer firm texture. Flavors are wonderful. I served it over cauliflower rice. My new favorite.
I made this for the ZWT family picks and really enjoyed the combination of the spinach and sauce. I had to use full-fat coconut milk because it was what I had on hand, quartered the mushrooms, and otherwise followed the directions. Thanks little_wing!
This is a great recipe. Even picky DH came into the kitchen asking what smelled so delicious! I used oyster sauce, and although it called for whole mushrooms, I sliced mine. I think DH had seconds! Thanks, Little_wing! Made for ZWT4 Zingo.