amanda l b's Note:
This is a deceptively easy and incredibly tasty dish that I got from a friend. Its simplicity makes it a perfect meal for mid week; but it’s equally impressive for casual entertaining. Don’t be put off by what appears to be a long list of ingredients – it can be easily prepared and on the table in 10-15 minutes. Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis) is essential to this recipe and should not be substituted by regular soy sauce. This is for 2 generous serves, but quantities can be easily doubled - or even quadrupled!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g minced chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g udon noodles (fresh or dried rice noodles are suitable alternatives)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 20 ml fish sauce
- 20 ml indonesian sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 10 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml water
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (diced)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped or shredded -increase or decrease to taste)
- unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves (to taste) (optional)
- fried shallot (to taste) (optional)
- crushed peanuts (to taste) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- fresh basil (chives also suitable) or coriander (chives also suitable)
- 1If using dry noodles or udon noodles– soak in water to soften.
- 2If cooking omelette; • Whisk together egg and milk. Mix in chives or other herbs. •Heat oil in wok, add omelette mixture and cook until slightly crisp on both sides. • When the omelette is cooked, remove from the pan. • Chop the omelette into thin slices and then into small pieces. Set aside.
- 3Heat oil in wok and stir fry garlic and chilli powder for 2 minutes [note: this can smoke so put on range hood fan and/or reduce cooking time if desired].
- 4Add minced chicken and stir fry until browned.
- 5Add fish, soy and sweet soy sauces –stir through.
- 6Add lime leaves and tomato – stir through and cook 1 minute further.
- 7Add noodles – stir until noodles are soft and combined with all other ingredients.
- 8Add water as needed to increase liquid volume.
- 9Add the omelette pieces - stir through.
- 10Stir through basil leaves.
- 11Stir through the cashew nuts.
- 12Remove from wok – serve and garnish with coriander leaves, crushed peanuts or cahsews and fried shallots.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Inspired Chicken and Rice (Or Udon) Noodles (Guey Teow Pad
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.5
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 146.4 mg
- Sodium 3232.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 29.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet soy sauce
kaffir lime leaves