Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
There are several recipes in the data base for Thai Iced Tea, but none like this one. Nancie McDermott was credited for this recipe found at "Quick & Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes". From her intro: "Sold in 1 lb cellophane-wrapped packets in Asian markets, this finely chopped black tea is spiced w/cinnamon, star anise & vanilla, & then tinged w/a bit of food coloring to create its gorgeous terra-cotta hue. Like Thai coffee, Thai tea is traditionally sweetened well w/sugar as it brews & crowned w/a generous splash of evaporated milk or half-&-half just before serving. You can brew Thai tea in a teapot, drip coffeemaker or French press (making it very strong & adding sugar while the tea is still very hot). Time has been estimated & does not include cool & chill time. Enjoy!
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup Thai tea powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- crushed ice or ice cube, to fill ea glass
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk (3-4 tbsp per glass) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (3-4 tbsp per glass)
- In a med saucepan over med-heat, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the Thai tea powder & remove from heat. Stir well to mix in the sugar & then let it cool (stirring occ to dissolve sugar).
- When the tea has cooled to room temp, strain it thru a fine-mesh strainer or coffee filter into a pitcher & chill until serving time.
- To serve, fill 4-6 tall glasses w/ice & then add about 3/4 cup Thai tea to ea glass. Top off ea glass w/3-4 tbsp evaporated milk. Serve at once, as the evaporated milk cascades over the ice & swirls languidly into the tea.
I love chai and I loved this too. I didn't have any Thai tea mix so made my own with black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. I used whole milk. Made for ZWT9.
Changed just a tad to make it vegan. Much enjoyed. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2013 by team Hot Stuff.
DD & I ate at a Thai restaurant a few weeks ago, I ordered Thai iced tea & was instantly addicted! So happy to see you have this recipe in play! It does use a lot of team mix per serving, eh? Yummy & perfectly sweet AFTER adding the half & half. ;) The mix is readily available at Amazon. TY, Twissis! Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers.