Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe originally, the card is all splattered and dirty. I wanted to post it here before I lose it.
- 1892.72 ml chicken stock
- 3 stalk lemongrass, cut in 1 inch lengths
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4.92 ml lime zest
- 2 green serrano chilies, slivered
- 907.18 g chicken (or mixture) or 907.18 g shrimp (or mixture) or 907.18 g tofu (or mixture)
- 14.79 ml thick coconut milk
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 red serrano chilie, slivered
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pot with the lemongrass, lime leaves, lime zest and green chiles. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the meat and/or tofu to the stock and simmer until the meat is done.
- Turn off the heat and add the coconut milk and lime juice. Stir to blend.
- Pour soup into a tureen or ladle into bowls and sprinkle with red chili, cilantro and green onions.
- Adjust individual servings to taste with additional chili, cilantro, green onions, soy sauce. fish sauce or lime juice.
Made this dish for my family (with 2 under 5). Everyone loved it, but I did make a couple changes. First I added about 1/4 c of coconut milk because we like it and I wanted to add more thickness to the broth. I also added rice noodles to give it more substance, esp for my kids. I can't see making it w/o either next time. The only other thing I'd change for next time is leaving the lemongrass longer to make it easier to remove before eating. It was a bit of a pain to remove them individually from our bowls. I'm passing this recipe on to my dad who has Celiac disease as this is a perfect gluten free meal. Definitely make this again!!
YUMMY! I will make this again. I love the the flavors and textures. This soup made every taste bud in my mouth very happy. Thank you! [made and reviewed for NZ/AUS recipe swap #31, August 2009].
We enjoyed this soup very much Sheynath. I used Collasal shrimp and added fish sauce and a little sugar. (personal preference only). The lemon grass that I used was minced. The spice and tartness in the soup were perfect. I did garnish the soup with shredded thai basil instead of cilantro. My serrano chilie was dried...but worked perfectly in this dish. Thanks so much for sharing. I will make this again.