Recipe by Lavender Lynn
Recipe from All Recipes
Top Review by PanNan
I loved the flavor of this soup. It was spicy, sour and slightly salty and sweet - just the way I like my Thai food. I used the kaffir lime leaves and thai basil from my garden, and for the mushrooms some fresh king oysters. I used only one chicken breast but thought it was plenty. Made for Mike and the Appliance Killers ZWT9.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tom yum paste
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless, shredded
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Stir in the tom yum paste and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves. Place the chicken in the saucepan, and cook 5 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Mix in the mushrooms. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and green chile pepper. Continue cooking until well blended. Remove from heat, and serve warm with the coriander and basil.
- Prawns (approximately 1/2 pound) may be substituted for chicken in this recipe. Cook them only until opaque. If kaffir lime leaves are not available, substitute 1 tablespoon lime zest.