Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very flavourful soup with shrimp.
- 5 cups chicken broth, with scallop flavor
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely obliquely sliced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 limes
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 3 dried tamarind
- 8 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 20 raw peeled jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- cilantro (to garnish)
- Place the tamarind in 1/3 cup water - break it up a bit so that the water becomes saturated with tamarind.
- Place the stock, lemon grass, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce into a large sauce pan. Squeeze the lime in and bring to a simmer. Simmer for at least 15 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- Mix the tamarind into the water, then throw out the pits and large, undissolved pieces. Add the tamarind water to the mixture. Simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add the shrimp and tomatoes and allow soup to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve immdiately and garnish with cilantro.