Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A classic Thai soup.
Make and share this Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup - Tom Yum Goong recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh galangal root
- 3 fresh red chilies, thinly sliced (amount optional)
- 3 fresh green chilies, thinly sliced (amount optional)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, scored (if using dry, soak in warm water until pliable)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a pot with garlic until aromatic; add onion and cook, stirring, until onion is light brown.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add black pepper, lemongrass, galangal, chiles, and lime leaves; return to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Place shrimp in the pot along with the fish sauce and lime juice.
- Simmer for 3 more minutes, or until shrimp are firm and cooked.
- Garnish soup with fresh cilantro before serving.