Sue Lau's Note:
A classic Thai soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh galangal root
- 3 fresh red chilies, thinly sliced (amount optional)
- 3 fresh green chilies, thinly sliced (amount optional)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, scored (if using dry, soak in warm water until pliable)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat oil in a pot with garlic until aromatic; add onion and cook, stirring, until onion is light brown.
- 2Add the water and bring to a boil.
- 3Add black pepper, lemongrass, galangal, chiles, and lime leaves; return to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- 4Place shrimp in the pot along with the fish sauce and lime juice.
- 5Simmer for 3 more minutes, or until shrimp are firm and cooked.
- 6Garnish soup with fresh cilantro before serving.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup - Tom Yum Goong
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.2
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 2783.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh galangal root
kaffir lime leaves