This is good. Thai red rice is unmilled (like brown rice) and takes longer to cook than polished rice like jasmine. However, because the grains are slender, they cook more quickly than other unmilled rices and use less water. Use a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid to ensure the steam is retained in the pot during cooking. One cup raw rice yields about 3 cups cooked rice. Measurements and times vary according to rice type, so follow the package directions. Find red rice at Asian markets or specialty markets, or substitute brown rice.
My Private Note
salad s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red rice (Thai)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh limes or 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, using green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Wash the rice well and drain. In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the rice and stock. Bring to a boil over high heat and let boil for 1 minute. Stir the rice to prevent sticking. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand covered for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, whirl the canola oil, lime juice, soy sauce and honey in a blender until smooth to make the vinaigrette.
- 3When done, fluff the rice with a fork and combine the rice and vegetables in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Harvest Red Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.3
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 637.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: