Recipe by UmmBinat
This is good. Thai red rice is unmilled (like brown rice) and takes longer to cook than polished rice like jasmine. However, because the grains are slender, they cook more quickly than other unmilled rices and use less water. Use a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid to ensure the steam is retained in the pot during cooking. One cup raw rice yields about 3 cups cooked rice. Measurements and times vary according to rice type, so follow the package directions. Find red rice at Asian markets or specialty markets, or substitute brown rice.
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
Om nom nom nom nom. This stuff is amazing! I have a really hard time finding ways to cook red rice that I enjoy, and I think this one goes at the top of the list. Kids loved it as well, they want it sent in their lunches tomorrow for school. I was out of red peppers and tomatoes so I subbed in peas and they went quite nicely with the dressing. Thank you soooooo much!
- 1 cup red rice (Thai)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh limes or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, using green parts only, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice well and drain. In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the rice and stock. Bring to a boil over high heat and let boil for 1 minute. Stir the rice to prevent sticking. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand covered for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whirl the canola oil, lime juice, soy sauce and honey in a blender until smooth to make the vinaigrette.
- When done, fluff the rice with a fork and combine the rice and vegetables in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.