From Quick&Easy Thai by Nancie McDermott. One of the most delicious & unique salads I've ever had! Use fresh green chilies, like Thai chilies, serranos, or jalapenos. In place of the 1 1/2 c shredded green papaya, you can use 1 c shredded green cabbage, plus 1/2 c shredded carrots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon green chili, coarsely chopped
- 12 green beans, trimmed to 1-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 -8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped and roasted and salted
- 1To prepare using mortar and pestle, combine garlic, dried shrimp (if using), and chilies in a large, heavy mortar and use the pestle to pound and grind them to a very coarse paste. Add papaya and green beans, pounding and scraping and turning with a spoon now and then, for 1-2 minutes, until papaya shreds are wilting and seasoned and beans are somewhat smashed.
- 2If you don't have mortar and pestle, use rolling pin. Mine garlic and chilies and place in medium bowl along with dried shrimp. Spread papaya out on cutting board, and light into it with the rolling pin for a minute or so, pressing down hard and mowing back and forth. Stop to gather up shreds, squeeze them, and spread them out again for another pass or two. When shreds are wilted, transfer them to bowl. Repeat with green beans, pressing down just until they split open and wilt a bit, and then add them to the bowl.
- 3Add fish sauce, lime juice, and palm sugar to papaya and use the pestle to press and grind the mixture a little, and a spoon to turn and mix everything well. Or use your hands to squeeze the mixture a few times and work in the seasonings.
- 4Add the cherry tomatoes and peanuts, toss well, and then mound the salad on a small serving platter, juices and all. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Papaya Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Green Papaya Salad
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 42.2
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 698.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 2.2 g