Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish I made the other night just messing around with the ingredients I had in my fridge, except the mussels, which I bought that day, while I was out as they were on special. This would serve 2-3 as a main meal, depending on appetites, without rice. My hubby and I try to eat low carb as often as we can so I did not serve ours with rice. I would say if serving over steamed Jasmine rice it would be adequate for 4 as you would have the added starch to fill you up, as we all know how light mussels are.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 kg mussels, beards removed and scrubbed well
- 2 small white onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass, if using jar (1 Tablespoon chopped fresh, but finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 600 ml coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thick tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped coarsely
- 125 g snow peas
- 150 g bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- In a large saucepan boil some water, pour mussels in and boil until mussels open, drain and discard any that haven't opened. Set to one side, wash out pan.
- Using the same large saucepan pan, Add the oil,onions, garlic, ginger and lemongrass, cook, stirring until onion is soft. Add the paste, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, down to and including the water. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer, leave to simmer about 5-10 Min's, to allow the flavours to come through.
- While the sauce is simmering, remove meat from about half of the mussels, this makes for ease of eating and presentation, otherwise you're eating a bowl full of shells.
- Return remaining mussels and mussel meat to pan along with the vegetables and coriander, reserving the green onions for garnish, cook stirring until sprouts are just wilted and mussels are heated through.
- To serve: Pour spoonfuls of curry into serving bowls and sprinkle with green onions. if you want carbs serve over steamed jasmine rice.