Recipe by Dr. Jenny
I made this really easy recipe from the Vegetarian Times website. It says it is from the March 2012 issue. This was perfect for a weeknight and I bought pre-cut butternut squash to save time. Next time, I would make it a little spicier by adding more curry paste, but that is personal preference. I would also simmer the butternut for longer for a softer consistency. I made this in my Dutch oven and served over black forbidden rice as the recipe suggested for nice color contrast. The recipe says that most Thai green curry pastes (unlike red and yellow) are Vegan, particularly the one made by Thai Kitchen, which I used.
Top Review by **Jubes**
Reviewed for ZWT9 - delicious vegetarian Thai curry - enjoyed and I really didn't miss that there was no chicken or other protein. A lovely vegetarian meal. Prep in advance and the cooking is super quick
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 cups firmly packed spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Add bell peppers, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in curry paste and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add butternut squash and coconut milk, and bring to a simmer. Partially cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place spinach, cilantro, and basil in blender with 1/4 cup water; blend until smooth. Stir into curry mixture, and cook 1 minute to allow flavors to meld.