Recipe by Ed Kozak
This is a great soup that you can make a meal out of itself. Just serve the soup over a mound of cooked jasmine rice.
Top Review by Andrea in AK
I really liked this soup. I only had cooked shrimp so I used water instead of stock. I added more veggies than called for too. DP thought it would be better if we had raw shrimp with the heads on for more flavor. We served it over rice for dinner. I think we will make this one again. Thanks!
- 12 ounces large shrimp, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons green curry paste
- 4 ounces straw mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Chinese cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, simmer shrimp in enough water to cover, until cooked or orange-pink in color, about 1-2 minutes.
- Cool shrimp in the stock and then peel.
- Reserve 4 cups of the stock. Set Aside.
- Heat the reserved 4 cups of stock in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in the green curry paste.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot, green beans, and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in tamarind paste, sugar, and fish sauce.
- Place some shrimp in a bowl and ladle in the soup.