Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
My wife's favorite dish. Easy to make, exotic aroma and taste. Hint: Always boil and drain bamboo shoots, as in this recipe. It takes away the metallic taste they get in the can and makes them brighter tasting
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste (found in plastic tubs in oriental food sections)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1 inch pieces and bruised or 3 tablespoons frozen minced lemongrass
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, cut into fine slivers (or zest of 1 lime)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups bamboo shoots, boiled in fresh water for 5 minutes and drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 15 -20 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (Thai basil is best)
- Heat 1/2 cup of the coconut milk in a large wok (or other pan large enough for stir fry) over medium-high heat until bubbling.
- Add curry paste and lemon grass, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, fush sauce, sugar, turmeric, and lime leaves,.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, You do not need to completely cook it in this step. If you do, it may be tough by the end.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add remaining coconut milk, bamboo shoots, peas, and tomatoes.
- Simmer 3 minutes, until additions are hot.
- Remove from heat, and stir in basil leaves.
- Serve hot over jasmine rice or pasta.
Made it exactly per the recipe. It was okay - kind of bland, to our tastes. More curry would help, as would more fish sauce, more lime, more basil. I note that the other reviewers all increased the seasonings, too. Sorry, won't make this again. Diane
Wonderful recipe. Used 3 T green curry paste & 2 cups of home made chicken stock. I did forget the sugar & turmeric - added a cup of pineapple for balance. Had to change up the vegies - used baby corn & sliced water chestnuts - worked great! Went heavy on the basil & added chopped cilantro - awesome recipe Comedie! Thanks for a keeper - can't wait for our tomatoes & basil to come in to make this with them!
Mmmmm! I love Thai Curried Chicken! My recipe is very similar...only I use red curry instead of green. Fantastic either way you go!