Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a tasty basic Thai green curry recipe. Feel free to add your choice of vegetables such as canned bamboo shoots, green beans, tofu, potatoes, etc.
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cut chicken breast into slices or cubes.
- Heat a skillet on medium high, and add chicken and shallots.
- Cook chicken 5 minutes on each side.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green curry paste. Stir until well combined.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, and salt.
- Increase heat until the mixture boils, then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Note: If you like a thicker sauce, you can add 2 tablespoons of flour, or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a little of the sauce, then return to the skillet.
Very good basic sauce. I used pork cubes instead of chicken, left out the chicken broth, added a bunch of vegetables like eggplant, green bell pepper, sliced onions, and zucchini, and used oyster sauce because I had no fish sauce. Served it over brown rice. So thanks for a very flexible recipe.
This is really great!!! I made this vegetarian with tofu and lots of my extra veggies that I needed to use up. I wanted to test this on excess veggies before I applied it to meats. The flavor is wonderful!!! I used Thai Kitchen's Green Curry Paste and light coconut milk. I steamed some new potatoes and carrots for 15 minutes before adding them to the mix and I added some dried kaffir lime leaves (about 4 or 5) that I crumbled up. The kaffir lime leaves really made it, I got those online from savoryspiceshop.com. Thai Kitchen paste has kaffir lime in it but I wanted more intense flavor from those. I used Mori-Nu Silken firm tofu and just sliced it and it sort of crumbles in naturally. I like the texture better than extra firm so I went with that one. Also added some red pepper flakes. I used soy sauce instead of the fish sauce because my fish sauce crystallized because I had kept it in the fridge (I know you aren't supposed to but I couldn't help it,,,I think I will just use soy sauce in its place from now on). I really think that I will keep this vegetarian, I enjoyed it so much!!! I bet shrimp would be good in it too as well as the chicken. Thanks for the recipe!!
Great simple green curry recipe. I forgot the shallots and put in a bit more than a Tblsp of curry paste, to finish up the jar, but it still turned out really well. I'll definitely be making this again. The only change I might make next time is to add a little less brown sugar, just to suit my tastes. Thanks.