Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This may sound like a lot of garlic, but the end result is delicious. This is my favorite chicken recipe as it is so easy and full of wonderful Thai flavours. Cook this in a ridged grill pan and serve with green ginger rice and fiery corn.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly or crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 limes, juice and rind of
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 -2 red chile, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried coriander
- 1⁄4 cup cashews
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- Cut gashes into chicken, through skin if present
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a deep glass bowl
- Put the chicken pieces in the bowl, making sure to coat each piece thoroughly and press into gashes
- Cover and leave the chicken in the marinade at least 2 hours; mix it around at some point during this time using 2 forks
- Next cook the chicken with the cashews and mushrooms in a foil-lined oven pan at the top of a hot oven (250c) for 20-30 minutes, or grill/broil it, or cook on the BBQ at medium heat for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
- Keep basted with the marinade while cooking
- Serve with buttered rice, perhaps some wild rice mixed in, along with fresh greens and a salad
I enjoyed this and felt all the flavors went together really well, however I did find the red chilies a bit too spicy for our tastes, so will make this again, but leave them out. Thanks!
This is nice basic recipe, although I feel that it's quite bland. I pan-fried the chicken instead of grilling it. After removing cooked chicken and mushrooms from the wok, I added 1/4 cup chicken stock and 2 tsp fish sauceto the marinade and reduced it to make a sauce. Before serving, I poured the sauce over the chicken. I served these with plain crepes (just for something different) and sprinkled cashews on top, just before eating, so they will stay crunchy.
I didn`t think it was much garlic at all! I used boneless chicken strips that equaled 1-2 breasts. Didn`t have any marinade left to baste with because the mushrooms absorbed it all. I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes turned for 5 more minutes. The directions could have been a bit clearer. The cashews I didn`t add to the marinade because I forgot but did remember to add them to the baking. The marinade was very tasty but I think the chicken was a bit dry.The mushrooms came out very good. I do wish I could have talked to the chef of this recipe while or before making to get a couple things straight. I do think the marinade could have be at least doubled for 3 breast. I`m giving this 3 stars because of direction. It would be 4 stars if not for that. 5 if the recipe had doubled the ingredients and clearer on the directions.