Recipe by **Jubes**
This recipe was given to me by my brother-in-law but origanally from an Australian Women's Weekly cookbook/magazine. The coconut milk tames the spices, making this a smooth and subtle soup. You can use chicjen breast if you prefer them to the chicken thigh meat.. This recipe is gluten-free if you use a purchased or home-made stock that is gf suitable and a gf fish sauce. The whole coriander/cilantro is used in this soup- the roots and stem in the soup base and then the leaves before serving
Top Review by MaineMama
Incredible! Just as good as my favorite Thai restaurant. If you have an Asian market nearby and can stock up on galangal, kefir leaves, lemongrass, etc., the actual making of the soup is quite easy. Amazing flavor!
Soup or Stock Base
- 709.77 ml chicken stock, gluten-free if required for diet (750ml)
- 20 g fresh galangal, peeled and sliced thickly
- 2 stick fresh lemongrass, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 9.85 ml coriander roots, and stems (cilantro)
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets or 500 g chicken breast fillets, sliced thinly
- 200 g straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed under clean water
- 236.59 ml coconut milk
- 19.71 ml lime juice
- 19.71 ml fish sauce, gluten-free if required for diet
- 4.92 ml grated palm sugar or 4.92 ml brown sugar
Ingredients to add just before serving
- 59.14 ml loosely packed fresh coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- 2 fresh small thai red chilies, seeded and sliced thinly
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 stick fresh lemongrass, sliced thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the lemongrass into 5 cm pieces and pound the pieces with the side of your kitchen knife to bruise them. This helps to release the flavour into the soup.
- Using a large saucepan- combine the stock, lemongrass pieces, galangal, whole lime leaves and coriander (cilantro) roots and stems mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain the stock through muslin or a fine strainer into a large heatproof bowl. Discard the solids.
- Rinse your saucepan.
- Return your stock/soup base to the same saucepan.
- Add chicken and straw mushrooms. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and the sugar. Cook, stirring, until only just heated through. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients- coriander (cilantro) leaves, red chillies, kaffir lime leaves and the lemon grass slices.
- Serve hot.