1/7 Photos of Thai Galangal Chicken Soup ( Tom Ka Gai)
This recipe was given to me by my brother-in-law but origanally from an Australian Women's Weekly cookbook/magazine. The coconut milk tames the spices, making this a smooth and subtle soup. You can use chicjen breast if you prefer them to the chicken thigh meat.. This recipe is gluten-free if you use a purchased or home-made stock that is gf suitable and a gf fish sauce. The whole coriander/cilantro is used in this soup- the roots and stem in the soup base and then the leaves before serving
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Soup or Stock Base
- 3 cups chicken stock, gluten-free if required for diet (750ml)
- 20 g fresh galangal, peeled and sliced thickly
- 2 sticks fresh lemongrass, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons coriander root, and stems (cilantro)
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets or 500 g chicken breast fillets, sliced thinly
- 200 g straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed under clean water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, gluten-free if required for diet
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Ingredients to add just before serving
- 1Cut the lemongrass into 5 cm pieces and pound the pieces with the side of your kitchen knife to bruise them. This helps to release the flavour into the soup.
- 2Using a large saucepan- combine the stock, lemongrass pieces, galangal, whole lime leaves and coriander (cilantro) roots and stems mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- 4Strain the stock through muslin or a fine strainer into a large heatproof bowl. Discard the solids.
- 5Rinse your saucepan.
- 6Return your stock/soup base to the same saucepan.
- 7Add chicken and straw mushrooms. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 8Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and the sugar. Cook, stirring, until only just heated through. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- 9Add the remaining ingredients- coriander (cilantro) leaves, red chillies, kaffir lime leaves and the lemon grass slices.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Galangal Chicken Soup ( Tom Ka Gai)
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.4
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.1 mg
- Sodium 1056.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 42.4 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves
kaffir lime leaves