Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'Spring Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- fresh ground black pepper
- 113.39 g sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 59.14 ml chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small hot fresh chili pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced (Thai or serrano)
- 709.77 ml cold cooked long-grain rice, preferably jasmine
- 29.58 ml asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh cilantro (or Thai basil or mint)
- Heat a wok or large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and tilt to coat the inside of the wok.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn opaque, about 1 1/2 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the wok and heat.
- Beat the eggs with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Pour into the wok and cook, stirring almost constantly with a wooden spatula, until the eggs are scrambled into very soft curds, about 30 seconds; transfer to the plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok and tilt to coat the inside.
- Add sugar snap peas and stir-fry just until they turn bright green, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shallots, garlic, chili pepper and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes; add shrimp and eggs back to wok; toss to combine.
- Mix the fish sauce and soy sauce together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the rice mixture and stir well.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle each serving with the cilantro; serve hot.