Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really simple and tasty recipe stolen from my mum.
- 3 tablespoons garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander, roots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salsify
- 3 red fresh chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken thigh fillets
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk, to serve (optional)
- Pound the garlic,coriander root and salt in mortar and pestle.
- Add the chilie peppers, sugar, turmeric and curry powder and pound to a fine paste.
- Add the fish sauce to the paste and marinate the chicken for 2 hours.
- Heat a little veg oil in a wok/large saucepan,add the chicken and fry until a good crust forms.
- Reduce the heat and continue stir-frying until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with coconut milk spooned over the top--optional.
This was a lovely recipe Noo. All the ingredients blended together perfectly to create a tasty dish. I couldn't find salsify so omitted it from the recipe. Made the recipe exactly as written and marinaded the chicken for 4 hours. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I used 4 medium boneless chicken breast for the 4 of us, and omitted the salsify. Other than that made as written. The chili peppers we especially enjoyed along with the coconut milk, a great touch too. This has to be made again, I say that because we usually don't have Thai food, but the flavors, and all 4 of us enjoyed this, and is definately worth having again.
Yum!! We absolutely loved this. So easy! Unfortunately, I cannot find my mortar and pestle anywhere so I just used a little blender. I also didn't have chili peppers so I used a few chili flakes (very few as I didn't want it spicy for the little ones). Skipped the salsify.
I did not expect for this to go in our regular rotation but it's definitely going. One of my favorite ways now to cook chicken thighs. Thanks for posting!