Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Thai style fried bananas in a crunchy sesame seed batter.
- 1 lb banana, about 6 (Traditionally small Asian bananas are used)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 4 cups oil (for deep frying)
- Peel and slice each banana lengthwise into four slices.
- Combine all the batter ingredients and stir just to mix together.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 375ºF.
- Dip each piece of banana into the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain.
- Serve with Coconut ice cream.
An oriental version of banana flambe? I liked the crunchy batter cover the sweet and soft banana. The sesame seeds also added an interesting touch. I also refuse to believe the sky high calorie, I think 4 cups of oil in the ingredients were inadvertently included in the calculation of the calorie count. It was so easy, so fast and super delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
YUM YUM YUM, I served this with Haagen-Daz pineapple cocoanut ice cream. Terrific! Just like our local Thai restaurants. I refuse to believe the calorie/fat count,(o'my'god). I had enough batter left for 10 bananas. I think it would be fantastic as a cocoanut/ banana /apple fritter for 12.
This is the thai fried bananas I remember my mom making when I was a child. I recently showed her this recipe and she said it is almost like hers... except no sesame seeds ( just because I am not a fan!). They are so good and best served hot and fresh... Thanks for sharing!!!