Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
I do not particularly like mussels but my daughter is mad about them and particularly likes asian based recipes such as this one.
- 1 1⁄2 kg fresh mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red chile, chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, outer leaves removed and tender core chopped
- 5 cm ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 60 ml mirin
- 125 ml water
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash mussels under cold water and remove beards. Discard any mussels that are already open.
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chilli, lemongrass and ginger and cook further 3 minutes.
- Add sauces and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat until liquid is simmering.
- Add mussels, cover saucepan with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and toss through coriander leaves.
- Throw away any mussels that have not opened.