This light and tangy version of cole slaw is great for picnics or as a side dish to an asian inspired meal. The beautiful mix of colors in the fresh vegies really makes an impressive presentation.
- 1 lb shredded cabbage (I use ready made cole slaw mix from the market-it has purple cabbage and shredded carrots too)
- 1⁄2 cucumber, seeded,diced or julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 3 scallions, sliced diagonally
- 20 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- toasted sesame seeds (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar, your choice)
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine all salad ingredients into serving bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients into glass jar and shake well until combined.
- Drizzle over vegetables and toss.
- Let stand about 10-20 minutes in fridge.
- Re-toss salad before serving and sprinkle with sesame seeds.