Recipe by auntchelle
This is a spicy Thai style curry that makes a filling vegetarian meal. For me, the lime juice and zest really make this curry. Served with boiled pearl barley, instead of rice, it makes a low GI meal. Around 260 cals & 8gms fat per serve. Australian measurements used.
- 300 g pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste, reduce to 1 tbs if you prefer less heat
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/4 then thickly sliced
- 375 ml light coconut milk
- 250 ml reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 kumara, peeled and cut into cubes (orange sweet potato)
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse & drain the barley. Fill a large saucepan with 5 cups water and add barley. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- While barley is cooking, heat oil in large wok (or frying pan) then add curry paste and onion. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant and cook for a further 4 minutes, or until softened.
- Pour in stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lime leaves and kumara and cook for 10 minutes, or until the kumara is very tender.
- Finally, mix in the sugar, lime juice and lime zest. Combine well. Season with salt & pepper, to taste, then serve over barley.