This recipe is from Ponti Seafood Grill in Seattle. I was thrilled to find it at Epicurious, because since my husband needs gluten-free, I can make this favorite at home using the right ingredients. I didn't change a thing on this recipe, but we like ours hot! Time includes time for the chutney.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and cored,and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup dry marsala
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat, flaked
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ginger-tomato chutney (can be made ahead; see separate recipe)
- Melt butter in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, apple, and garlic; saute' until onion is soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder.
- Add Marsala.
- Boil until liquid is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock, fish sauce, and curry paste.
- Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk; simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain well.
- Return pasta to pot.
- Pour sauce over pasta.
- Stir in crabmeat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer pasta to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Serve with chutney.