This recipe comes the The Santa Fe Cafe in Seattle. You can make this dish as spicy as you like, or mild if you prefer, and it's still good.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (more if you like)
- 7 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and ginger, sauteeing until garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, then the curry paste, 4T chopped cilantro and the salt.
- Simmer for just 4 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add mussels.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes until the mussels are opened.
- Remember to discard any mussels that are not opened!
- Place broth and mussels in soup bowls-- 6 first course or 4 main course.
- Serve with crusty bread to dunk in the delicious broth.