Prep 45 mins
Cook 13 mins
A pizza with exotic flavors
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons thai green curry paste
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into thin strips (14 oz.)
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup diced canned bamboo shoot
- 22 ounces california-style pizza dough (Tony’s Pizza Dough)
- unbleached bread flour, for dusting
- 2 cups coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄3 cup grated carrot
- 3 basil leaves, cut crosswise into thin strips, for garnish
- Position an oven rack on the second-lowest level in the oven; place a baking stone on the rack.
- Position another rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat oven to 500°.
- Prepare toppings: in a saucepan, warm the oil over low heat; stir in the curry paste.
- Add in the coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice.
- Increase heat to medium; bring to a simmer.
- Add in the chicken, chopped basil, and bamboo shoots; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, drain the chicken and bamboo shoots and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Increase heat to medium-high; boil the sauce until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup; set aside to cool.
- Coat a 14-inch pizza screen or perforated pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface; lightly dust the dough with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10-inch round without rolling over the edges.
- Lift dough and check to make sure the dough isn’t sticking to the work surface.
- Shake excess flour from the dough; lay dough on prepared pan and gently stretch dough into a 14-inch round.
- Top the pizza: spread the reduced sauce over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Drain and discard any juice from the chicken and bamboo shoots; arrange them in a single layer over the sauce; sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the top.
- Place the pizza in the oven on the upper rack; bake 10 minutes, until the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Using a pizza peel, lift the pizza off the pan and place the crust directly on the baking stone (remove pizza pan from oven).
- Bake about 3 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is golden brown.
- Using the peel, remove the pizza from the oven and transfer to a cutting board.
- Scatter bell pepper, carrot, and basil ribbons over the pizza; slice pizza into wedges and serve immediately.
I've made this recipe a few times. It was excellent. My family appreciates the flavorful spices of this pizza. Thank you!