Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A real tasty curry. I have no idea how authentic it is; I got this off the internet from someone who posted it on another site, who had gotten it from a friend of his girlfriends(!). You can add more vegetables to this at the last step to suit your fancy.
- olive oil
- onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste or 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- Thai peppers or jalapeno pepper, to taste,sliced
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- raw chicken, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can straw mushroom, drained and rinsed
- 1 can bamboo shoot, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 6 fresh lime leaves, torn in half
- 1⁄2 basil (Thai or regular)
- 1 lime, quartered
- Heat small amount of oil in skillet and cook onion over moderate heat until translucent.
- Add garlic, stir until it starts to color.
- Add curry paste and a little coconut milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add rest of coconut milk and the cubed chicken.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients except for the lime, and simmer for about 10 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve over cooked rice with lime quarter and more basil if you want.
I used 'Thai kitchen yellow cury paste 112 g jar) used 2 cans of coconut milk and 2/3 cup of chicken broth and 4 tbsp of brown sugar and 4 tbsp of fish sauce.
used 3 chicken breasts and mixed veges (baby corn, carrots and peas) and red and yellow peppers. Didnt use the jalapenos, garlic, bamboo shoots (fresh ones would be good) or mushrooms Was a big hit with me and the teens!
We found the balance of flavors to be "off" with this curry. The instructions do not specify the quantity of onion, peppers or chicken, and perhaps that was the problem. We felt it needed a bit of sweet to balance the hot. Thank you Sudie for sharing the recipe.