Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
simple thai curry
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 crushed garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lb chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into peices or 1⁄2 lb chicken breast
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot and saute the onion, garlic and ginger gently until the onion is soft.
- Heat the coconut cream over med-high heat until bubbling furiously.
- Add the curry paste and stir until well mixed, whisking the paste until you see dark streaks of coconut oil forming.
- Add the fish sauce, palm sugar (or brown sugar), lime or tamarind. Stir to mix.
- Add the red curry sauce, mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- reduce heat to medium, add chicken and potato.
- simmer 20 minutes or until potato is cooked through. If you dont simmer gently, the coconut milk will separate a lot, and the curry will look a little weird, but will still be tasty.
- Add the tomatoes, and simmer 5 - 10 minutes longer.