Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very fragrant, brothy type of soup.
- 7 cups water
- 1 small papaya, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby corn, drained
- 4 fresh Thai red chili peppers, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch dried galangal
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1 lb prawns (shrimp ok in a pinch)
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add all ingredients except prawns and green onion.
- Simmer for 2 minutes; add prawns; cook about 3 minutes more.
- Garnish with green onion.
- Note: Some ingredients may be difficult to find; I have found some online at http://importfood.
- com; they have a variety of Thai foods there you can get, including the galangal and kaffir.
- Shrimp paste you can get at any oriental food store; tamarind pulp is available at Indian and Pakistani grocers for sure.